|Project by Halc||posted 10-01-2015 07:57 PM||4548 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I refinished an old drop leaf table that had been in my wife’s family for many years. I’m sure it wasn’t worth too much even when it was new, but it sure serves a practical purpose for us now. Without leaves and the sides dropped down the table is only 24” long and 40” wide. With the two sides up and the three leaves in it is 90” long and 40” wide.
When you pull the table apart to insert the leaves the two outside pairs of legs slide on the carpet. I was worried the brass toe caps would catch on the carpet and cause some damage. I don’t have a lathe and didn’t want to spend too much time shaping something, so I bought these wooden Easter eggs from Amazon.com and band sawed them in half. I had to shape a very slight concave arc on the cut side to match the curve of the leg. I attached each one with glue and a screw. The legs now slide easily on the carpet without catching.
One of the table’s legs was broken. I glued it together and recessed a mending plate with screws to hold it. I used pocket screws to reinforce the joint where the legs attached to the column. After staining you don’t notice the pocket hole patches. The tops of the table were badly scratched and I sanded through the veneer trying to sand out the scratches. I used a new cherry veneer with pressure sensitive adhesive to fix the tops. It was all finished with a couple of coats of General Finishes Candlelight and several coats of Arm R Seal.