LumberJocks

Oak slice end table

  • Advertise with us
Project by DavidOveracre posted 09-30-2015 05:19 PM 1081 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a “cookie” cut from a tree across a friend’s driveway. About a year or so aged, which I realize might not be quite long enough for it to have fully done what it’s going to, but I’m watching it closely :/ . I’ve added one butterfly so far from what I think is rosewood? A gift from another friend. I’ll be adding one or two more. I originally thought about adding some to the bottom, just to be sure, but I’ll end up filling the rest of the checking with epoxy and purple seashells :0 .
I’d like to make a thick, three legged base with M&T joints and sort of a rounded edges look. And I’ll most likely end up finishing with “tung oil” (formby’s…it’s what I have).

-- Dave O.





9 comments so far

View kimosawboy's profile

kimosawboy

164 posts in 2437 days


#1 posted 09-30-2015 05:34 PM

That cookie has some nice grain to it….
If that crack continues or you have others, you can always soak it in PEG..

G Vavra

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

879 posts in 2283 days


#2 posted 09-30-2015 07:14 PM

I would think that a cookie of that thickness would be fully dry (or least at moisture equilibrium) after a year. With so much end-grain and so little long-grain it will dry much more quickly than a comparably-sized board.
It might help control cracking to drill out the pith and then fill it with a dowel or your epoxy and seashell mixture.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View palaswood's profile

palaswood

940 posts in 1217 days


#3 posted 10-01-2015 12:33 AM

Thanks a sweet butterfly man! Nice work. By the way, that looks to be Purpleheart instead of rosewood. Good luck on the rest of the piece. Nice cookie.

-- Joseph, Irvine CA, @palas_woodcraft on Instagram

View Cameron Robertson's profile

Cameron Robertson

17 posts in 1228 days


#4 posted 10-06-2015 03:44 AM

That looks like a really interesting piece! Can’t wait to see what it looks like when you have the rest of the pegs out from storage and installed into place!

-- Cameron Robertson, Manager of storage Dee Why - http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/northern-beaches/self-storage/cameron-robertson/

View DavidOveracre's profile

DavidOveracre

30 posts in 439 days


#5 posted 10-06-2015 04:34 PM

A couple more images of progress. Bought the Parks Supergloss Epoxy system for filling the cracks/holes. I installed the other dovetail dutchman/butterfly, which came out perfectly. Taped the cracks and holes, filled with the shells, and have poured the first round of epoxy. All it needs is the second pour and some quality time with the belt sander.
Some things I learned about epoxy;
1- not only should you tape off to prevent runout but next time I’ll also mask off the surrounding areas on the “pour side” I don’t want epoxy on.
2- Then when it’s still slightly soft, I can pull the masked area’s tape off to avoid having to sand off masking tape as well.
All in all it worked out pretty well so far.

PS I’ll get the imAges up when I have a better connection

-- Dave O.

View DavidOveracre's profile

DavidOveracre

30 posts in 439 days


#6 posted 10-09-2015 11:45 PM

-- Dave O.

View DavidOveracre's profile

DavidOveracre

30 posts in 439 days


#7 posted 10-10-2015 12:43 AM

So after taking a chisel to the extra epoxy that spilled over, I belt sanded the rest. Now I have a dilemma, since oak is such an open grained wood, I can see where it filled. This will not come out and I don’t really expect it to. So some advice would be appreciated.
1-should I spread some more epoxy to fill the remainder of the end grain?
2-if I do, will it differ too much from the rest of the wood without epoxy when I oil it?
3- if I don’t, will oiling it (what I originally wanted) hide the differing surfaces?

-- Dave O.

View DavidOveracre's profile

DavidOveracre

30 posts in 439 days


#8 posted 10-20-2015 12:45 AM

So I filled the remaining endgrain on top with a skim coat of epoxy. Then scraped everything. Can hardly wait to oil the thing, but must build the base first. Here are some pictures of the beginnings of the base. Random pieces of oak we use to stack between sheets of metal at work.
Laying out some big dovetails to join them…


I’m gonna try some MT joints as well with extra mat’l, and see what works/looks better.

TTFN

-- Dave O.

View DavidOveracre's profile

DavidOveracre

30 posts in 439 days


#9 posted 10-24-2015 02:06 PM

I finally decided on a design for the base based on my available material and tools..

I had already started on a dovetail joint for the apron, so I continued with a design that used that.

-- Dave O.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com