|Project by fawig||posted 09-22-2015 12:00 AM||748 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
The bases supporting the pillars at my in-law’s house were rotting and needed to be replaced. Building the new bases was not difficult – I used 1” thick pressure treated lumber held together with screws, biscuits, and Titebond III glue. The challenge was how to cut the rotted portion off while still supporting the pillar and roof.
I drilled some 1” holes through each post and held the post in place with a couple of car jacks, then traced a line around the post using the new base to get the height correct. Then I used an AMAZING tool to cut the post: an oscillating saw. It cut through the post like butter and was very easy to control.
I screwed the bases to the pillars and anchored them to the concrete, added some hole plugs and caulk to prep for paint, and put on two coats of white paint.
I’m happy with the results and I think they add some pizzazz to the pillars.
-- "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Phil 4:13