|Project by Jordan Moore||posted 09-21-2015 02:23 AM||1010 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
This is the first cutting board I’ve made so far. It was a long process, I’m not entirely happy with the finished product, but I have to cut myself some slack for it being my first. I used Maple for the border, and Bubinga for the center part. I made a little sled for my router to even out the faces in place of a planer. For whatever reason there were a few spots where the router went just a hair deeper, and now there are rings that are just barely visible in the finish. I sanded it for a while with a random orbit sander, but just couldn’t get it out. I rounded over the edged with my router table, and had a piece chip out. Also, when I was sanding I noticed the dust would collect into the pores of the Bubinga. I dont know if the wood is just too porous to use or what. I finished with General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish, thinned by 50% with mineral spirits. I saw this on the Wood Whisperer’s video and decided to try it. I may try mineral oil and wax next time. I put rubber feet to add some grip and keep the board off the countertop.
-- "Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men"