|Project by Scott Oldre||posted 09-20-2015 07:48 PM||2508 views||25 times favorited||28 comments|
I started thinking about and designing this table in Dec 2013, after I’d taken the table my son had grown up with, up to Michigan for his new house. This left my step daughter Lauren without a table. So being the guy I am, I said I’d build her one. I’d made up my mind I wanted something special, so I started looking for some cheap walnut in the spring of 2014. Picked some up from North of Charlotte which they guy said had been kiln dried. Got it home, put it on the saw and immediately got a shower…definitely WET. Too far to drive it back, so hung on to it and it’ll get used eventually. At $3 a B/F I should have known better. Then in Late 2014, I found another seller of some slabs in Ashville NC. At least I knew these were fairly fresh, but still couldn’t use them to build the table, so they sit in the attic drying naturally for some project in the future. Spring of 2015, I read an ad in CR about some reclaimed flooring and roof materials from a Northern SC cotton mill. Went to look at it..rough rough, but hey, why not, it’s got history. So finally the table got started.
What you see here is a summer’s worth of planing all the old stuff (paint, creasote, spillage of everything) off and got some dimensional wood. it was 2.25” thick when I started and I took about 3/4 ” off during the process. Some stuff had amazing grain, some didn’t. Took my time and started laying the useable pieces (yeah, lots of splits, dry rot, etc in the bunches I bought. par for the course for this table build). Laid them out into the top first, then whatever was left would be the bottom and a bench to come. I’m scared I’m not going to have enough for the bench, since the last 4 pieces I have are either split or have more twist than Elvis. But there’s the challenge, isn’t it.
No metal pieces in the table, and the only thing left to do is to turn some locating pins to mate the top and bottom the same way every time. The top weighs over 100# and I can’t move it myself. It’s 6.5’ long by 3.25’ wide. Finished in natural BLO/MS/POLY blend on top, and the same on the bottom with a 1/3 bottle of transtint mixed in. Only sanded the edges to prevent slivers, and left the knots and such alone.
Lauren has only seen the top in person, but has seen it on Facebook and says she is excited beyond belief. My son, now thinks he’d like to trade his table for hers…..sorry son..snowballs chance in a hot place before that happens.
Hope you like it. I particularly liked the idea of the forked wedges against the dowel. Hadn’t seen it but in one book and decided to try it.
-- Scott, Irmo SC