|Project by Ted Ewen||posted 09-17-2015 12:18 PM||963 views||1 time favorited||0 comments|
Once the sawhorses were done we had an immediate need for a hutch for our hatchlings. The one class of hatchlings in the file room became three while waiting for the tools to arrive – and chickens are not indoor pets. The place was really starting to stink.
I went to Backyard Chickens and found a design (with instructions) I liked and felt I could complete.
I worked it up in Sketchup and set to work. It took me a few days, and I do not think anything is actually square, but they sure seem to like it. It also means we have the house back. I changed to a top hinge for the doors and didn’t put the splash guards in. I’ll be making insets so I can close the pens against the weather. I also shortened the bottom horizontals and moved them up between the verticals on the bottom doors so the doors were not so oversized.
I’ve got another mostly assembled and I used 9mm ply throughout instead of the 15mm I used on the first. (It’s just what I had to hand.) Once again, it’s not particularly well constructed, but it fits the purpose and the feel good factor is sufficient as well. The second went together much more quickly too. By the time I get done with 8 more, I reckon I should have it pretty well down. Yes, I will be going back and straightening the fixtures :P
We’ll be enclosing one end and providing a roost and nest box. We’ll keep our breeders in them. One cock and a couple of hens each. They have the run of the grounds when not penned for the night so it’s enough to be getting on with.
As my basic skills improve, I will be looking at less crate like constructions. For now, we need hutches :D
-- Show us a man who never makes a mistake and we will show a man who never makes anything. The capacity for occasional blundering is inseparable from the capacity to bring things to pass.