|Project by shipwright||posted 09-16-2015 05:13 AM||2838 views||1 time favorited||33 comments|
One of the things that Patrick Edwards has always done in the level one course at ASFM is to have the students do a self portrait. The school keeps one copy and gets to have a visual record of all the past students. I really like that part and plan to incorporate it into my new level one course as well.
With my first group of students arriving next week, I decided to do a dry run to see how my photoshop skills were for producing the high contrast print that the students will trace for their self portraits. I used my wife and myself as guinea pigs.
ASFM students are instructed to take a “less is more” approach when producing their tracings and I will offer the same encouragement to my students but as I had already done that when I took that course, I decided to take the opposite approach at least with my wife’s portrait, just to see how it would work.
I learned a couple of things.
The first is that the positive (light ground, dark shadows) always looks good but the more detail you include the worse the negative looks to the point that the very detailed cut of my wife is hardly recognizable as a face in the negative.
The second is that the line drawing never looks like it is going to work out well at all. Again it is more depressing with more detail.
You gotta have faith in the process however because they actually all work out when cut and assembled. You usually can’t believe how good they do look.
The bottom line is that I think I can do the prints well enough and I got some rather nice family portraits out of the experiment. ...... Makes me a happy camper.
Thanks for looking.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/