|Project by TObenhuber||posted 09-15-2015 01:41 PM||2212 views||5 times favorited||15 comments|
Using knowledge gained from the previous build of this same coffee table I used a higher grade of construction lumber. I used the 2X12X12 boards from the BORG. I was very selective to find boards with the tightest grain patterns and most possible quarter sawn sections. I went into much greater detail of wood selection in my review. Link below.
The construction is the same as the last coffee table. I used mortise and tenon joints for the upper frame. I used half lapses to join the lower shelf in place. I also laminated the top and lower shelf with 3 to 4 inch strips of the best quarter sawn sections of the 2×12’s that I could. I think it turned out great. Hand planed and sanded out to 220 smooth. Chamfered the edges with my HF hand plane.
The things that I tried differently than the previous model. The lower shelf ended up having a split after cut to final dimensions. It didn’t reach the surface but I wanted to prevent it from getting bigger. So having see Bow Ties in wood working construction that is very old. I figured it was worth a shot. So that last picture is the finished Bow Tie. My goal is to sell this coffee table so I won’t figure out if it works or not but it was a good experience routing it out and trimming the edges with a chisel. I will definitely remember Bow Ties for future projects. I should have probably been more proud of it but I ended up hiding it on the bottom of the lower shelf. The table ended up looking cleaner that way.
The finish is exactly the same as the last one. I used a long oil finish using 1/3 Tung Oil, 1/3 polycrylic and 1/3 mineral spirits. I will probably end up doing another coat or two to get the table a little darker. Haven’t decided yet. The overall finish is mildly water resistant and I am very pleased with the finish quality as it is right now. For more details, I described it in pretty great detail in the comments of my last coffee table. Link below.
Lastly, I learned about wood movement and moisture. I might try letting the wood dry a little more next time. Maybe… I assembled the table and the top must have moved. The next day after assembly, the table had a slight wobble. So I fixed it. I trimmed the legs by leveling the table and then measuring about a half inch from the surface up on the legs. Then the wobble was gone. Then I went to raise the grain and must have applied to much water. The wobble was back. I was a bit frustrated after that so I left it alone for about two days. Upon returning, the wobble was once again gone. Miracle. The table fixed itself. So far, the wobble is still gone and its nearly two weeks later.
For a few more pictures along the building process check out my website. If you enjoy what you see please like.
-- Travis, Virginia, www.facebook.com/CreativeWoodworksHybla