|Project by fumehappy||posted 09-14-2015 09:12 PM||829 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
A month or so ago I was coerced into going with the family on a yard sale adventure. (read that as the ‘uninteresting’ ones).
We stopped at a mcmansion in a new development and to my surprise against the fence sat two wooden screw vises. I picked the first one up, and it was full of bug holes, and looks like it had decorated the exterior of a building for a number of decades. Possibly fixable, but I didn’t feel like treating it for bug infestation. Next to it was this guy. He looks like he was left outside or on a garage floor for a mere decade. I examined the screws to make sure they looked straight. It was damp and they didn’t move much, so I got it for a fiver. I let it sit for several weeks in the shop to dry out, and finally coerced the screws out.
I hit them lightly with a fine wire brush to burnish and clean the threads(not recommended if you’re working on a relic of historical importance). To clean out the threading on the inside of the jaws, I got out the dremel with a small wire wheel and fed it through on it’s lowest setting.
Oiled and waxed the jaws, waxed the threads. To my happy surprise I got no binding and full travel on both screws!