|Project by doubleDD||posted 09-14-2015 09:01 PM||2247 views||2 times favorited||32 comments|
The time had come where I needed to do some 40’’ spindle work. I had been wanting to buy an extension for a couple years now but couldn’t justify the $200-$250 cost. I decided to get to work and build something.
I have some 1/8’’ angled aluminum and a few 1/4’’ galvanized flat bars to get me started. Epoxying the angled aluminum and galvanized steel together as you see in pic 2-3 gave the 3/8’’ thickness i needed to match the top rail. I made two bridges out of wood to hold it up and set them on for size at a 2’’ gap for the tail stock to slide thru. Pic 4 Next was the gap for the locking plate to slide thru so it doesn’t get caught from the lathe bed to my add on extension. I made those out of a piece of 1×1 lumber and kept shaving them down till I had a 2 9/16’‘gap. I epoxied those to the rails and went to remounting again. Pic 5. The one bridge is bolted to the lathe in the original holes and screwed to the bench. The other is just screwed down. The 2 rails are screwed to the bridges with 3’’ x 1/4’’ screws. With a little tweaking I got the tail stock to slide from my extension to the lathe bed like butter. I ended up with a 19 1/2’’ extension for a total of 43 1/2’’ between centers. This was a temporary fix but turned out so sturdy I decided to keep it on permanently. The cost was 0 since I had everything in the shop I needed. I hope this give inspiration to others who need an extension and are too cheap like me to spend that much.
Not bad if I say so myself. Thanks for looking.
-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.