|Project by Ossian||posted 06-18-2009 04:18 AM||1592 views||0 times favorited||12 comments|
I took up with my bandsaw about two weeks ago, and have done a lot of “proof of principle” things; cutting out curves, resawing, no actual projects per se. Learn the tool, cut up some scrap—purchased from the scrap bins at Woodcrafters for just that purpose.
Some of the scraps were an unidentified creamy pink wood that I laminated together and declared it would become my first “real” bandsaw box. I didn’t lay it out, I just sort of went for it. With a 1/4” ripping blade on a 10” saw.
So the lid went by the wayside and the bottom was cut as in insert, and far too thin for a decent glue edge. I learned the word “drift” as it applies to bandsaws. The project, with my half hour of time and $1.50 of wood, should have gone to the fireplace.
But I spotted a piece of paduk thinstock in my scrap bin (a 15-gallon flower pot) and thought I could put that across the bottom of the box. That made for a lidless pink box with a bright orange stripe at the bottom, though. I couldn’t see an orange top as well, although there was plenty of paduk for the job. Then a slab of unidentified burl showed up.
Nice save, is my feeling. Never going to be the masterwork that makes strong men weep and women swoon, but it isn’t firewood, either.
Materials: stange pink wood from outer space, paduk, some random burl. Finish: walnut oil
Edit: The SPWFOS turns out to be Spanish Cedar with pronounced dark veining.