|Project by KerwinLumpkins||posted 09-10-2015 04:35 PM||5457 views||11 times favorited||12 comments|
I’m just getting a start in woodworking, at least seriously. I knew I needed a good bench, with good heft and solid work holding. Like many others, the Roubo bench captured my attention and admiration. I considered traveling to Connecticut and building one as part of a class with Chris Schwartz and then figuring out how to ship to Denver, but that was in late summer so I decided to get cracking on my own. I knew I had a lot to learn, and many mistakes to make, so I decided to make them on a cheaper and simpler design. Enter Stumpy Nubs and his Old Timey Workshop Video’s design for a Roubo Bench using 2×6 lumber. I bought some better grade fir from Lowe’s, let it dry for about 5 weeks while I was out of town on business and then tucked in starting 2nd week of June.
The Roubo bench project was a great excuse to buy a jointer/planer combo tool (Jet’s JJP-12HH) which I love. Fantastic machine. My first experience with a jointer and I’ll never look back.
Stumpy’s take on Roubo’s bench uses a laminate approach for the bench top and takes advantage of laminated approach for the legs as well to create the distinctive double tenon. Stumpy recommends buying a cheap Harbor Freight plane and modifying it into a scrub plane to speed up surfacing the top. I could have done that, but instead saw an opportunity to buy a nice Lie-Nielsen scrub plane and use that. I love that thing. Takes off wood fast and makes a neat looking finish that I’ll remember for later. But I finished off the top with a #6 plane, about 4 hours of work with the planes. About 90 hours for the project overall.
I went with a leg vise, using a wooden screw from Lake Erie Toolworks, and a 9 inch quick release end vise from Rockler. Plenty of 3/4” round bench dog holes and a sprinkling of square dog holes. I made the square bench dogs with some cherry to get a contrasting look. I made a quick set of drawers out of some scrap plywood to store my planes, saws, layout tools, and chisels. I made some fixtures inside the drawers to organize all of that stuff so it wouldn’t be a big jumble.
I was right. I had a lot to learn. And I made a bunch of mistakes, but she came out pretty good. Some gaps on the double tenons regrettably. I know that I’ll make another workbench in the years to come, but this one was a great start. Next project is a Moxon vise so I can get cracking on dovetails.