|Project by mcg1990||posted 08-31-2015 10:58 PM||1452 views||7 times favorited||6 comments|
This is the third folding table I’ve built following the Buildeazy.com plans. The first two were pine, stained with minwax and finished with GF Exterior 450, and promptly sold. From the get-go they were practice runs for this one, which I built for my wife.
I built the table 2ft longer than the original plans, and used only dowel joinery except for the bolts for the moving joints. I’m not that good, or insane.
It cost about $120 in Cedar, which was, if I recall correctly, 8 2×4x10’s, 1 2×4x8, 1 2×4x12. The reason for the three different lengths was that 8 pieces in the plans consisted of one long component and a short component (so+2’ to the 8’ plan), one was two long pieces together (so +4’), and one was simply small components that didn’t change with my altered plans, so it remained at 8’.
I bought rough sawn stock and jointed, table sawed, and planed it all to 1.5” x 3.5”, which left me lots of cedar shavings to spread around the vegetable garden.
At first I simply glued all the joints together, clamped and let dry, and then I followed up by drilling the holes for the dowels and glue and hammering in the Oak rods. To make sure the holes were perpendicular to the face of the wood I used my Dowelmax with the L-bracket attachment as I don’t own a drill press. Curves cut using a series of mitresaw cuts around lines drawn with a pair of compasses, and sanded roughly smooth.
Another alteration to the plans was buttiing up and edge joining the seat and tabletop boards. They’re all dowelled together with the dowelmax also. I’m not sure if I’ll regret this due to seasonal movement, but if I do I can alter/fix it as I go.
Finished with 3 coats of BLO, which I’m somewhat unhappy with due to the yellowing effect. I had hoped my oil would bring out the natural colours, but it actually ended up dulling the pinks and browns that were present.