|Project by Warren||posted 06-08-2009 07:13 PM||1920 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
This is an Oak chest I made recently for some friends. It proved to be a real handful as I don’t own any kind of jointer or planer and so shaping the would was a real challenge. As the Chest will be sat up against the wall I decided to go for a lid that opened on the top rather than at the back. (I know that doesnt make any sense, please look at the pictures because I dont really know how to explain it any better!)
My friends wanted this piece to match their existing funriture and so the style is very modern. Not really my own taste to be honest, they chose to forgo any hardware in place of a very clean look. The hidden hinges where I real nightmare to install as the decision wasnt made to hide them untill after the chest had been glued up, hollowing our the cavities for the three hinges when the lumber was already in place is not something I wish to repeat!
Anyway, I had a lot of challenges with it and although it isnt really my style I am fairly please with the results. I finished it with 4 coats of brush on varnish which had been thinned with about 25-30% mineral spirits to make it easier to brush on.
-- Im more succesfull at making sawdust than I am at making furniture