|Project by ilyac||posted 08-30-2015 08:44 PM||653 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This is already the first of at 2 frames I have made, and hopefully many more to come.
Making this frame involved 3 separate projects. The first, my table saw router table extension wing, so that I could make the rabbets using my router more easily on thinner pieces of wood. The second, a frame miter sled, so as to make accurately sized and repeatable cuts, and finally a spline jig to add some decorative contrast splines as well as some added strength to what would otherwise be a simple butt joint.
I had a little spare 3/4” thick walnut in the garage so I ripped that down to 1-3/4” wide, routed a rabbet, and cut it to size using the miter jig. I used the spline cutting jig and a few scraps of hard maple to strengthen up the corners after gluing, which I did using a tie-down strap. I trimmed the splines down with a small handsaw, and cleaned it up with my block plane. I have since gotten a ratcheting tie-down from Harbor Freight with the corners, as I found it hard to get the nylon strap tight.
Cutting glass took a few tried to get right, but I think I got it now, and I made the back to the frame out of some hardboard I had.
Finishing was done with Minwax satin poly, but I wish I had thinned it out a bit before applying. Overall I am very happy with this frame, and more-so my second one as well, which I think got a better final finish. The second frame, the last picture in the set, was cherry with maple splines.