|Project by wiskeyweasel||posted 08-28-2015 04:01 PM||868 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
As per usual, the wife wanted another room in the house updated. This time it was the big room! Old cabinets were the typical oak/particle board crap, with Formica tops and a hideous back splash, so a full tear out was needed.
The cases are primarily pre-finished birch ply, which is awesome stuff to work with btw. The frames, doors, and trim are all soft maple. The doors and drawers are mitered and big ass 2 1/2” and 1 3/4” router bits were used to profile them. Then everything was sprayed with a light brown shot of dye, and seal up with thinned shellac. Then black glaze was applied and a satin poly finish was sprayed.
Drawers are maple as well with 1/2” finger joints riding on full extension ball bearing slides.
The granite is something new for me. I have a friend that suggested I give it a try, and through a mutual friend, I got it all at cost. Found out real fast that granite installers are making a freakin killing on this stuff. Basically, if you can cut a sheet of plywood with skill saw, accurately, then you can do granite work. It’s ridiculously simple. It comes pre-polished, with a bull nose on the front and one end, so all you need to do is cut, lay and level, and join the joints with epoxy or resin. The only difficult part about granite is moving it. This shit is heavy! Like 300lbs a sheet! So bring friends and supply beer. It’s also a bit fragile, and has to be transported on edge, so you’ll need a simple stand for the truck to haul it.
Anyway, the wife digs it, I learned some new skills, and the return on investment is gonna be good. Thanks for looking.
-- They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.