|Project by Mark Wilson||posted 08-28-2015 05:42 AM||714 views||0 times favorited||17 comments|
I rough-turned this Black Walnut bowl blank back in April, to pretty much this shape. That is to say, I rough-turned the outside without cutting off the lid or hogging it out. This was because it was quite active on the lathe. So, I put in a box, to bathe in its own filth. I got it out a couple days ago and mounted it. It was at this point that I was glad I hadn’t cut the lid off and hogged it out – there’s no way I could have salvaged it.
So, there it was, a couple days ago, on the lathe, doing the jitterbug. And there I was, trying to make it round again, hoping it would stay round. It did. So I proceeded. I turned the body rather thin (@1/8” at the lip), and it moved a little. But the lid fits, so it’s okay.
The finish: I’ve done this to a couple smaller things lately. But it’s new to me still. Wipe-On Poly. I first brought up the figure by soaking it with BLO. You can probably tell in the last photo that I was more generous with the BLO on the body than on the lid. (I’ll do better next time.) Then, five or six coats of the WOP in rather quick succession (1-1/2 hours, total).
Now, I wait to see whether my beautiful finish peels off, due to my hastiness.
I have another Black Walnut Lidded Bowl that I made about a year ago. It’s finished in nothing but bees wax. I think I’ll post it next, for comparison.