|Project by Sandking||posted 1649 days ago||751 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This was my first project. My wife wanted a bookcase for her classroom and I felt it would be a good learning project. The carcass is birch ply with store moldings glued and nailed in place. I used biscuits for attaching the top and bottom to the sides (before I learned about the strength and glue surface of dados and rabbits) but I did try out my router by cutting stopped dados to mount the shelf tracks in the sides. I also used pocket screws to attach a hardwood front to the adjustable shelves for sag support.
My wife wanted a faux finish so I painted a base coat of red, and a topcoat of black. I sanded through where I wanted the red to show up. It was a couple of years ago so I can’t remember if I put some wax on the red parts before painting the black so it would be easier to remove. I sprayed the finish and learned that latex is a pain and really soft.
Overall the project took way too long. Partially due to time limitations in the shop, collecting/buying tools, trying to set them up square, the size of the project (couldn’t always work on it in my small one car garage shop) and learning curve. Instead of buying S4S lumber I used my jointer and planer (never used those tools before) so I had to get familiar with them and made sure they were set up properly. I think I can now construct this in one day instead of weeks.
-- The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary....