|Project by JonasB||posted 08-23-2015 09:15 AM||878 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Here is my simple attempt at good furniture. The base consists of two “Room and Board (no affiliation)” 40”x40” stainless table legs. The two tops are padauk plywood with padauk edging. The edging is rabbeted and the top glued in place. The edges are cut oversize and planed/sanded down flush to the plywood after glue up. As is my wont, I blew through the plywood veneer at the edges as I was carefully sanding. In the spirit of “making lemonade from lemons” I routed a slot and added inlay I found on the net. In retrospect this turned out to be a good thing, because the inlay really made it look a lot better. The middle section is amber glass sitting on top of a wooden base painted black to get that dark glass look. The sides are padauk to match the two side sections. I ordered the glass with a little bit of bevel on the bottom edge. I have a slightly raised bevel in the wooden base and this keeps the glass from shifting. This also creates a small V profile where the glass and wood meet. I have some flat plates screwed under the table to keep the surfaces flat and aligned.
Between the top and legs, I have two long aluminum stretchers made from square tubing (big box home store) that support the tops and have notches for attaching to the legs. The notches fit over the horizontal bar of the legs and I made little plates that span the notches, screw into the the tubing, and clamp the tables to the stretchers. This keeps the tops and two bases aligned, supports the middle section and floats the top for an airier look.
I made 3 different aluminum stretcher pairs. The short ones are for this configuration. I can also remove the middle glass section and put in one or two 24” extensions. Since these longer table setups would always be covered with a tablecloth, I decided to keep it simple and just used painted MDF. For these extensions, I have the corresponding medium and long stretchers. I could have tried for some sort of sliding mechanism, but this is much simpler and the only downside is storing the unused stretchers. To convert, I take the tops off, put in the appropriate pair of stretchers, and then put the tops back on with the desired extensions. A little kludgy to convert, but not too difficult and I can seat 10 with no problem. This has served us well for many a family holiday get together.