|Project by Jim B||posted 08-21-2015 09:21 PM||1010 views||5 times favorited||2 comments|
I built this table for my brother and his fiancé. He showed me a picture of something similar and I decided I could do better. My most complicated project yet. Didn’t really have a plan, just a picture to look at. Designed everything on the fly.
The top, glass holder, and bottle rack are all cherry finished with Arm-R-Seal. I experimented using biscuits to help with the glue up of the top. They worked really well. I just used my router and slotting bit to cut them. the top is attached with z-clips to allow for expansion.
The sides of the table are solid maple painted black. I don’t normally like to paint wood but I was not ready to attempt to stain maple that dark. Im really happy with the contrast of the paint and cherry though. I made the sides how I imagine I would make a cabinet door. Tongue and groove with floating panels. I should have used plywood for the panels instead of solid maple. Less warping when it’s 1/4” thick and less wasted wood. At $1 bft I figured I’d give it a shot anyways and It worked out decent.
For the drawer I made half blind dove tails using my router and jig. I wish I had taken the time to make them a little tighter.
Over all I was very happy with how it turned out. It was my last project of the summer before I have to go back to school. Probably won’t get any significant shop time until Christmas break. Gives me lots of time to plan whats next though!