|Project by Sawdust2||posted 06-01-2009 03:50 AM||1040 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This is not a 391 pen because it is made from a hunk of something that Karson included in the very first pen swap. When it got back TimD brought it over to the shop for my Wednesday nite group to look over. This piece looked like it had red and green swirls or layers and I thought it would make a neat pen. This week, using my new Carba-Tec I got around to turning it. Not as colorful as I had hoped but the grain worked out and matched up really well.
The third and fifth pen I had decided to play with laminate. I just cut some curvy lines, glued in a slice of bleached beech veneer and then turned it. I kept the ebony one for myself and gave the tulipwood to a graduating senior going on to Georgia Tech.
Pen four is a cherry burl. That, too, went to a graduate who is also going to Georgia Tech. However, I thought a young lady deserved a more dainty pen.Another slimline not pictured went to a young lady going to Kennesaw State.
Two and six are Polaris pens, 2 is a cherry burl and 6 is spalted oak.
I really wanted to compare finishing techniques. I went and reviewed a youtube video on BLO and CA. What I learned from that is I had been using WAY too much finish. So a couple of the pens were finished with BLO/CA.
I also like the finish from Craft Supplies. Four of these pens were finished with their friction polish.
Each pen was sanded to 400 and then micro mesh up to 2400 grit between applications. Not all pens required that much sanding.
IMHO the Craft Supplies friction polish is much easier to apply and provides a shine equal to or better than BLO/CA . But when you need to use CA to fill in a gap then I would stick with BLO/CA.
I did six more pens and it was really a pleasure to get such a highly reflective finish on all of them. I think I now have that process down.
-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.