|Project by Jarrhead||posted 08-18-2015 04:42 AM||2097 views||9 times favorited||8 comments|
I have a large shop. It is a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing because I have the space to do things, and position equipment for minimal conflict, without having to move stuff around to accommodate separate operations. I must admit that is nice. It’s a curse because I frequently find myself having to walk across the shop to get a tool that I need. Even though the exercise is good for me, it wears on me as being inefficient. I wanted to have a tool chest large enough to hold the small tools I use most frequently at the bench or assembly table, but with the mobility to keep it close at hand easily. Enter the Woodsmith plan for the Slant Front Tool Cart.
This plan seemed to have all the attributes I was looking for. I wasn’t keen on some of the design features of the plan as it was presented though. So, I made some modifications. First of all, the original designer used hardwood edging on the plywood sides. A nice touch, but they didn’t go to the trouble to cover the edges all the way around. That would be fine, I guess if your tool chest would always be parked against the wall. I thought that defeated the mobility aspect. I expect my chest to spend as much time in the middle of the shop floor, as it will against the wall, so I wanted all four sides to have a finished look. The other changes I made were mostly related to the hardware used. The plan calls for the case to be assembled with screws and “Finish” washers. I didn’t like the look of the exposed screws with those finish washers. I decided instead to countersink the screws, and plug the holes. The other major hardware deviation was the drawer pulls, and the handles for the top chest. Certainly the metal pulls used by the designer serve their purpose, but I felt they made it look more like a dresser than a tool chest. Every tool chest I have ever seen has drawer pulls that run the full length of the drawer. I spent a little time searching for commercially available pulls I liked, but quickly decided to make my own. The case is constructed of ¾” Baltic Birch plywood, trimmed with maple edging. The rails and stiles, as well as the drawers are also maple. For a little accent, I decided to use mahogany for the drawer fronts, pulls, handles, and plugs. The whole thing is finished with Watco Danish Oil (Natural).