|Project by Greg Wurst||posted 05-30-2009 05:06 PM||8817 views||11 times favorited||9 comments|
I’d been meaning to make one of these since I saw it in Woodsmith issue 176. I was reminded of it when I saw this one here:
So, I took a day off an got off my duff and built it. I also went with walnut for the sides and maple for the front and trays. I finished it with Watco Danish Oil followed by de-waxed shellac and a couple coats of Formby’s wiping varnish. The most expensive part of it was the ball catches for the front door, which cost $8 each! The 3 outlet strip was bought at Ikea for around $3 for a 2 pack.
While I am pleased with the outcome, I was disappointed in the instructions. Usually I build these in Sketchup first just to make sure everything is correct; but I just went ahead and built this one from the plans. There were a couple dimensions that were wrong, and I missed one and had to cut the maple pieces down by 1/4” to compensate. They also didn’t give a location for the pivot hole for the support panel, so I guesstimated and the brass pins are slightly too long to fit behind the closed front door. They look ok sitting on top, but I was still disappointed. Next time I’ll make sure to build any projects in Sketchup first.
-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.