|Project by zoopmitty||posted 08-17-2015 02:34 AM||837 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
i’ve messed around making wooden rings before. I’ve made some doing it the easy way with drill and sander. I’ve done the bent wood rings. Even made rings with coin using punch set and mandrel. They weren’t the best of rings but they were decent. My wife knows i love making things that move… be it chairs, tables, or toys. Sitting around trying to decide what to make for the weekend and the wife hints “you should make one of those spinner rings.” I didn’t even know what they were but she knew she had me hook and sinker. After giving her a confused look for a few minutes i perked up when i realized what it was. Couple of ideas was getting too confusing and complicated and i was doubting it when the wife said “yeah those really do look complicated and time consuming.” OHH THAT WAS A CHALLENGE. I had all kind of ideas how to make them but i decided to make it as simple as possible using minimal about of materials. Some copper pipe, some coca bolo or bocote or zircon (sorry i don’t know which), epoxy, and couple of power tools. I’ll post how i did it for any of you that was wondering or just….
the ring on the top is the first one i made. That one i made it male. the one on the bottom the females. The male i made wider with the center thin. While the female one i made skinnier but the middle wider than the male.
i cut a piece of 3/4” copper pipe little bit wider than the size i wanted.
I cut a second piece of copper about 1/2” wide and started to stretch it on the mandrel. Had to stretch it past the 14” mark to be able to fit it over the 3/4” pipe that i was using. That was a lot of stretching – next time i’ll be making smaller rings. Once i got it stretched enough to be able to slide it over the pipe i started to sand it down to smooth out the sharp edges and sand it enough to be able to spin freely.
I could have went the bent wood route but i figure i try the easy way first. just drilling holes in wood.
using a thin piece of wood (about 1/8”) i cut a square piece big enough to drill out two holes
Sorry if I can’t remember but I think i used a 7/8” inch spade bit to cut out the inner part of the wood i was going to fit over the ring.
i drew a circle using the stretched piece of copper on the thin piece of wood. that gives me the rough idea of how thin i need to sand the pieces of wood. It needs to be smaller than the stretched piece of copper so that the copper is taller than the wood and its easier to turn.
once everything is all sanded down i put them all together using epoxy. best to go slow with this part. best to insert one piece of wood from one side and the other from the other side.
i spread a bit of epoxy on the inner side of the wooden ring. insert it from one end only enough to the marked position i decided. few times i slipped it in too far and had to start over. taking it off and wiping it clean. better to start over like that than to try and sand the epoxy off. I let the epoxy set a good hour or so before moving on to the second wood piece.
making sure i didn’t get any epoxy on where the center piece will spin i repeat the process with the second wooden ring. I should have used a playing card to space out the wooden piece and the copper piece so that there was enough space in between instead of trying to eye it. It worked but would have been easier i think.
Once i got the second piece on with the epoxy i kept spinning the the center copper piece just incase i gotten some epoxy on it. i kept spinning it for about 5 min or so. Once i was sure the center piece wasn’t going to harden with epoxy i let it cure for another hour or so.
after all that is done and cure i sanded the ends to the final width in the picture.
the second ring took about half the time because i knew what i was doing—SOME WHAT. the second ring also has smaller space in between the center copper and the side wooden pieces. which makes it look a bit better IMO. Best part is the center piece still rotates so i guess i didn’t get the epoxy on it. Yayyyyyy.
The longest part of the project was trying to stretch the copper. Of course sanding took a bit of time too. maybe my description is complicated but it was fun and easy project and the wife loved the rings. Checked off this challenge as success. Maybe the next time i make one i’ll post the step by step if people are interested.