|Project by luv2wheels||posted 08-16-2015 11:45 PM||688 views||0 times favorited||0 comments|
I got a wrought iron coffee table from a fellow volunteer at Habitat for Humanity and felt it needed a wood top. The 2 large slabs are box elder, which weren’t quite wide enough so I sandwiched a piece of walnut in between. Some how I’m still a little too narrow, so I had some zebrawood I resawed and joined to the edges. One of my lumber sources had zebrawood scraps, so I bought a few. It is not a pleasant wood (IMO) because the pieces I got had so much internal stress that they would curve and actually split when resawn. It also has very fine (cactus needle like) splinters when machined and is difficult to work with a hand plane.
Initial coats of finish are Bush Oil, but I wasn’t getting the depth I wanted, so I applied 3-4 coats of brush on poly that says it is for table tops. Should work very well for a coffee table that may have drinks or feet sharing the space with remotes, books, bowls, etc.
Oh yeah, it will be going to live with my younger daughter once I attend to a couple minor details.
-- too old to rock & roll......