|Project by Eric||posted 08-15-2015 01:15 PM||703 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
Every trip to an actual small independent lumber mill (as opposed to the home center) is a treat. That’s where this project began.
I wasn’t quite sure how to get the curves balanced just right so I took a few photos at a furniture store; I imported them to photoshop; I traced the shape I wanted; I tile-printed that shape to copier paper, taped them together and began cutting. That was a trip to figure out.
The head and foot boards are subassemblies put together with dowels. The bedrails are attached to the head/foot boards by threaded rod for easy setup and breakdown. (see photo 5)
I aged the cherry in the sun for a solid week. It certainly darkened but not enough to satisfy so my daughter and I dyed it and stained it the color you see here.
Top coat is pre-cat lacquer. This is my first project with pre-cat. ITS NICE STUFF!! I never want to go back.