|Project by Scrappys_Squirt||posted 05-27-2009 09:43 AM||2472 views||2 times favorited||25 comments|
Well its finally done! I finished the “man box” I was making for my hubby. It only took us a month working about 3 hours almost every night somewhere between 80 and 90 working hours total however a lot of that was learning time for me I take longer then I should to get things done since dad “Scrappy” was talking me through everything first before i did it. That aside it all went pretty good even if it took a while because I did almost all the work. there were alot of firsts for both of us during this project like the drawer and rabbits, lock etc ( most of it all was new to me). But anyways enough about that and onto the box.
This was my husbands birthday present (b-day was the 14th so its a bit late but he didn’t complain to badly). I wanted to make him a box that he could put his keys and wallet and whatnot into that also had a drawer for him to put his weapon in at night when he isn’t carrying it and so the adventure began…
The design is 12L X 9W X 6H outside dimensions. it is split in half with the bottom being a drawer with a lock on it ( 2 kids running around), the upper box section has a T shaped divider so it has one big section and 2 smaller sections. I lined the smaller sections as well as the drawer with leather to protect the wood and his gun. The hinges and handles are hand made, and I did a marquetry/inlay in the lid of a horse head in an oval. The boards were all re-sawed to 3/8 inch thick (except the inlay pieces) on the band saw. then cut to size on the table saw. The router was used to cut the rabbits for the corners of the box and drawer, and the dadoes for the center divider between the upper and lower sections, and the drawer bottom as well. I did all of the inlay work with a jigsaw (should have designed something more simple for my first inlay!), then routered the place for it in the top. Then I sanded everything.
The drawer was made separate and then the face board was screwed onto it after the lock was mounted that way the lock can be replaced later if need be. Dad pretty much did the drawer/lock assembly part and handles while I was working on the inlay. I didn’t like the keyhole cover that the lock came with, so dad used a strip of brass and bent an insert for the keyhole instead that I think looks great with the box. We used 1/2 inch aluminum angle stock mounted on the box with countersunk screws to support the drawer and allow it to slide in and out. Here are a couple pics of the mounted lock, keyhole, and drawer slides.
Dad also shaped the hinges after I cut them out with the jigsaw so that they opened and closed properly. Here is a better pic of one of them…
The inlay has to be my favorite part though I love the whole thing especially the hinges and keyhole :) It was complicated but not too bad once I started getting the hang of it each piece fit better then the previous one. We both love horses so I thought it was the perfect thing for him.
Finally the wood I used was as follows:
Tropical Walnut = main body of box
Padauk = hinges, handles, horse body
Wenge = horses mane, eye and nostril
Hickory = oval, star and eye of horse
Old Cedar?? drawers = body of the drawer
Unknown = inside of horses ears
I used vegetable tanned leather for lining the drawers so that it will not damage the gun, it is the same they use to make holsters with, then I just stained it myself to be darker
Everything (except cedar part of drawer) was sealed with 2 coats of wipe on poly, 1200 grit sanding between them, I plan on also waxing it but I don’t have the wax right now.
I just want to thank Dad for teaching me so much, and for letting me take over his little shop with this project for the last month :) thanks again everyone for looking, Please feel free to leave honest opinions and/or critiques, or just let me know what you think of it. I hope I got everything covered if not let me know and I’ll answer any questions anyone has.