|Project by jfk4032||posted 08-14-2015 10:07 PM||692 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
After making a beautiful intarsia piece for my oldest son after graduating James Madison (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/98687) it was time to make one for my daughter who graduated from NYU. After pulling down various NYU logos, I was very disappointed with what the university logo looks like. It’s so simple and plain it would have been a waste to do an intarsia piece with that as the pattern…the last picture.
So, I made my own pattern using the actual NYU letters and creating a more interesting torch and flame as the new and improved logo pattern.
The piece measures about 16” x 16” and uses aspen, curly purpleheart, black locust, bloodwood, padauk, chatke viga, yellow heart, alaskan yellow cedar and holly.
I used black locust to turn the torch pieces including the cauldron, which was my first bowl turning…go figure I had to cut it in half! I used turner’s tape to glue two blanks together for the handle and lower tapered torch bottom piece. This way once turned to final shape, I could easily separate them and they would be a perfect half of the actual round shape and be perfectly flat for glueups . Fluting the handle was a little out of my league, so I got some help from John Supik of Mark Supik & Company woodturning in Baltimore…he did a great job and the Supik family are lovely people to work with and take instructional classes as well.
Also, a special thanks to LJer Ron F. who not only sharpened all of my lathe tools, but gave me some assistance in setting me up to turn the torch handle piece in the 3rd picture.
Here are some other work in process pictures of the build.
Next up is a more complicated piece, the University of Maryland Terrapin, for my youngest son who graduates this coming Winter.
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!