|Project by hobobanned||posted 08-14-2015 06:29 PM||1974 views||8 times favorited||9 comments|
I salvaged some redwood from a deck railing and put one of the boards to good use as a back porch screen door. First I squared the board and planed it down to fresh wood, then I re-sawed it into planks for the rails and stiles and cut the mortises and tenons. I was able to get all 6 pieces from the same original board with next to nothing to spare. I wedged the through tenons with end grain cherry and the trim pieces around the screens were leftovers from a teak flooring project. I got the profile by using the very end of a small crown molding bit so it just left a bead and a cove. I completely rebuilt, cleaned and refurbished a set of Victorian spring hinges and a small mortise lock with a lever handle and a knob. Finished it with some Penofin penetrating oil and tacked in some screens. The trim pieces fit in a rabbets that hold the screens in place. Finally there is a breeze on my porch and I never have to look at the awful aluminum storm door that used to be up. In the process of making this door I came to learn that I am allergic to Redwood when I broke out in small hives anywhere the dust contacted my skin. Its the first wood I have ever had a reaction to which is surprising because I have never had a problem even working with exotic wood like teak, purple heart, or cocobolo.