|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 08-12-2015 12:42 AM||1374 views||0 times favorited||27 comments|
Our turning guild has a challenge for the Sept meeting to make something that fits into a 35 mm film container. I made these 3 pieces and the one on the right is scrap because the side blew out when I was burning in the grooves. The pith ran off center in this piece and made the wall super thin in that area . The piece on the left is another hollow form made from Koa ( both were hollowed from the bottom). The piece in the center was turned on 5 center just to see if I could do it. I don’t know the wood used in the center and right piece but I put a piece of ironwood on top of the center piece to hide the pith. Normally the pith does not come into play much, but it was bigger than the hole I drilled and moved the drill a lot. For the Koa piece I used a solid piece of wood with no pith. I’m not sure which one of the two good ones will be my entry.
I finished the left piece with EE and Shellawax. The other 2 are finished with clear lacquer.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!