|Project by JoeinDE||posted 05-25-2009 05:24 AM||4682 views||6 times favorited||7 comments|
This is my first large furniture build with any degree of complexity. As always comments and critiques are welcome. I used a plan purchased from U-Bild. I built this during my first week of furlough this year and finished it during this past week.
The top, shelves and sides are 3/4” maple-faced ply. The face frame and drawer fronts are maple. The molding is poplar and oak. There are two coats of Minwax Cherry stain followed by three coats of Minwax wipe-on clear gloss poly. I used Minwax pretreatment to help the maple stain more evenly. I didn’t have any pieces of maple long enough for the horizontal parts of the face frame (poor planning on my part) so I did a glue-up pocket hole joint. I hoped that it would be less visible than it is.
Other things I learned during this project
1. My 18v Ryobi 7.25” cordless circular saw does not have the juice to cut through 3/4” ply sheets. I ended up cutting the two full sheets of 3/4” ply with my jigsaw.
2. Even with a Woodriver straight edge clamping guide, it is hard to cut a straight line with a cheap jigsaw (Shopsource) cutting through 3/4” ply. The full sheets were literally too big to fit down the stairs into my basement workshop and I wasn’t about to take my table saw apart to bring it up to the garage. The vibration from the jigsaw was enough to unsettle the guide even with the highest level of clamping pressure. The next time I need to cut full sheets I am going to buy a corded circular saw.
3. Even if you think you’ve sanded all of the sawblade marks out, you should check by wetting the surface before you start staining. I got burned by this when I made my bookcase, and I was much more diligent this time, but I still missed a couple of spots.
4. The plan called for installing the central drawer glide supports after the face frame had been secured to the rest of the structure. In retrospect I would have secured them to the face frame before securing the frame to the structure. There was no way to clamp the supports during the process of gluing them into the structure and, despite my best efforts, the right side one ended up not parallel to the right side of the structure. This led to an inability to install the interior drawer slide on the right drawer.
All told I spent a little less the $200 on materials for this piece.
-- A bad craftsmen blames his cheap #$%ing tools