|Project by greg48||posted 08-10-2015 11:44 PM||1196 views||4 times favorited||5 comments|
Working steadily along on the honey-do list, I just completed three cabinets to house YiaYia’s plastic scrapbooking bins. She already had two plastic cabinets, but the castors started to break out of the cheesy mounts, and she was hoping that I might be able to replace them, plus one extra. She not wanting to spend to much out of pocket cash, I looked about the shop and found about 15 bf of 3/4 red oak and enough 3/4” and 1/4” plywood scraps to do the job.
I went with an open sided cabinet design with cantilevered oak runners in 5/16” dadoes and rabbeted oak kickers to guide the bins sliding in and out. The sides were pocket hole screwed into the top and bottom plywood panels, which in turn were edge treated with iron-on birch banding.
For mobility, I tried out 1” ball bearing castors since our flooring is wood laminate, not carpeting. YiaYia is satisfied with the castors, but I may replace them with 2 1/2” rubber swiveling castors, as the ball bearings seem loud to me.
The three units measure approximately 16” square and 30” tall. Finish is simply an application of “rattle can” lacquer. That’s all for now, thanks for looking in, and keep the sawdust flying.
-- Greg, No. Cal. - "Gaudete in Domino Semper"