|Project by Deela40||posted 08-08-2015 04:13 PM||2412 views||6 times favorited||7 comments|
My wife has a few large cups she likes to take in the car, but the cup holders in her vehicle are too small for the cups to fit. This made for potentially dangerous driving as the cups would go flying while going around a corner or if hard breaking was needed, which is unfortunately a common occurrence where we live.
I decided to fix this with some scrap walnut I had. I glued three pieces together for the top and used my bandsaw to make the circle shape and cut out the inside. Then I glued the last piece on the bottom of the top layer and used my oscilating spindle sander to finish shaping it. I glued three more pieces together for the bottom and used the bandsaw again to cut the circle. I then used my disc sander to taper the bottom so it would fit snugly into the cup holder. Finally, I used a dowel and glue to connect the top and bottom portions. The finish is an equal mixture of bees wax, boiled linseed oil and pure gum spirit of turpentine. The wax helps to seal it from moisture and can be easily reapplied when needed.