|Project by Scott Oldre||posted 08-08-2015 02:08 PM||1999 views||5 times favorited||7 comments|
Just about exactly a year ago, I posted a project called the Vic-tar. That project was a gift for our musically gifted student pastor who was leaving us after a year of “student preaching”. Well it’s that time a year again, and I might have set precedence for myself, with the endeavor to create another gift for this years Vicar as he and his family leave for his last year of seminary.
This Vicar, although he didn’t play the guitar, just happened to be as musically gifted as our previous vicar, but on the piano. Amazing talent. You know, those musicians that aren’t just playing the notes, but feeling them and expressing every nuance of the music to the audience. Amazing gift.
So, back to the project. Hmm…..a guitar for a guitar playing Vicar, just makes sense to make a piano and stick with status quo for this Vicar….Nah, I get confused just looking at those 88 keys. So I decided to make something that is convertible. A musically inclined person should have a music stand I thought. And since he’s also going to be a pastor in a year, he ought to have a lectern to practice from, or to use in his future catechism classes.
So I give you the Vic-tern. It’s made from a stash of gorgeous 4/4 Paduak I’ve had hiding way up on my wall of wood, and was extremely reluctant to touch, given the cost of replacing it now-a-days. But, it is for a gift, right. Along with the paduak is a nice mid range 4/4 curly/tiger maple sandwhiched between the paduak and the main portion of the lectern deck at the top.
The design was a combination of browsing the internet for inspiration, and then just winging it with the curve. Literally just drew it out by hand with a big fat white piece of chalk, and cut out the two matching pieces with a jig saw. Just layed them on top of each other, screwed together some of the cutoff areas, and went to work. Turned out pretty well, and then I used a jet sander to remove most of the marks and clean up the curves. After that, I used a pattern bit in the router table to clean up both piecs and square the edges. The adjustments for the top and bottom (both can be swiveled) are hand turned knobs with bolts and nuts epoxied in.
The top is all splined together, and I also used a little bit of Greene and Greene treatment on the edges so that if the wood does move, it’ll stay clean looking.
The finish is just BLO/MS/Polyurethane mix in 1/3 portions. This took 4 weekends to make in a 100 degree heat here in SC. You really don’t want to drip sweat on paduak or even handle it with oily hands, as it gets all funky looking. Lastly, think long, hard and carefully when pairing paduak with a lighter wood. The BLO/MS/POLY mix did a little bleeding from paduak to maple. The curly maple just makes it that much harder due to the curls picking it up the paduak. Lastly, wear ear/nose/shirt protection when working with paduak. I now have a delightful pink Harley shirt from the #62 Sturgis trip in 2002. Kicking myself for not being smarter.
All in all, I love the way it looks and it’s convertible function. I just hope he does when he gets it tomorrow.
Thanks for looking.
-- Scott, Irmo SC