|Project by JeremyPringle||posted 08-07-2015 02:25 AM||878 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I have been super busy recently and have not had much time to work in my shop, so the progress on my lowboy is slow. So in the mean time I decided to post a project or two from my early days.
This is a dresser I made for my daughter in June and July 2010 and is my 32nd project. (Anyone else keep a spreadsheet and folder with pictures?)
I stole the design from FWW 33 Furniture projects from March-April 2010 Cherry Chest of Drawers by Michael Pekovich. That’s right… no shame, I stole it.. and made changes to it as my tools and needs required. (maybe I will write a blog and document all the things I did differently, and things I would do different if I made it again… anyone interested?)
First, I want to point out that if you look closely to the top, you can see machine ridges. Yup… machine ridges… For the carcass I used prelaminated pine and even then I hated sanding, so I obviously did not do a very good job of it but the ridges did not show up until after putting on a finish.. stupid prelam… these were the days when I was scared to use good wood.
I was in the stages of getting really into hand tools so all the DT’s are hand cut and all the material (other than the prelam) was smoothed with a plane. Everything other than the main carcass is clear pine I salvaged from V20 crank shaft crates. (some sweet birdseye pine!!)
The finish is water based aniline dye and amber shellac.
I have half a mind to take it back to my shop and fix or refinish all my mistakes…. but doubt that will actually ever happen…