|Project by BrentH||posted 08-05-2015 06:08 PM||1213 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I’m kind of posting my way back in time through my projects since discovering Lumberjocks. Fortunately, I’m a novice woodturner, so it’s a short list.
After finishing my first ever wood turning project (a segmented bowl), and then building a drum sander to uniformly sand the rings for the bowl projects to follow, I felt I was ready to take on something a little bigger in size for my second wood turning project.
This bowl had 6 rings, or 7 total layers including the bottom. I made the rings differing thicknesses—3 were 1/4” thick, the other 3 nearly 3/4”.
The three thinner layers were also designed so as to have alternating light-dark wood segments, made from maple and cherry. Originally, the idea was to stack these rings together and stagger them so as to create a step-like pattern with the light-dark combinations.
In practice, the contrast in the wood segments of the thin rings just wasn’t enough to create the effect I’d hoped for, so I ended up placing the thin rings in among the thicker ones, while still forming something of a staggered pattern.
It turned out OK, however.
Things I learned from this project:
#1) In order for patterns to really show, the different woods needs to have a high level of contrast. Duh!
#2) Cutting inside the bowl where the side meets the bowl bottom was tricky, as it was nearly a right angle. I probably needed a different tool to make that cut, although not sure what. A narrow bowl gouge finally worked, but not perfectly.
#3) Taking a hint from others, I decided to “autograph” my work, so I made a branding iron and used it first on this unfinished bowl. Works great!—adds a personal touch.
#4) and most important… Wood turning is FUN!
-- Brent H. --"This retirement stuff is hard work. I need to go get a job so I can get some rest!"