|Project by Babieca||posted 08-05-2015 03:27 PM||786 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
After a little blood, a lot of sweat (working in an un-airconditioned garage in Texas in July), and a fair bit of cursing, I completed this spokeshave and sent it off to Dan (489tad).
The blade is a replacement blade for the Woodriver spokeshave. It came flat and reasonably sharp and cuts well, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably get a different blade. The tabs that hold the blade were not really long enough, so I had to place the set screws for adjusting the blade in the escapement. This means the shavings don’t clear as nicely I would hope.
The body is curly maple and the sole is LV. I bought some rosewood to use for the body, but I managed to turn most of that into firewood. I think the maple ended up looking pretty good, so it was probably for the best in the end. I managed to ruin a couple of maple blanks too, but I used them to smoke a pork butt, which was both cathartic and delicious.
Finish is Danish oil and wax.