|Project by oldstarter||posted 08-03-2015 05:22 PM||1199 views||1 time favorited||10 comments|
For this project I thought I’d make some salt and pepper pots. The first one I made was just a test piece firstly made of lots of of square pieces glued together cut off the top 1/4” and the bottom 1/2” drilled out the holes and then bored right through the piece that was left, glued the top and bottom back on, stood back and thought, Nah! that’s no good so made the second one by gluing the square pieces around a central block, a bit easier but still didn’t like the cut of tops and bottoms. So the second pair I made were circular and it was then that it hit me just counter sink the top and bottom and put circular inserts in them, so that’s what I did for all the rest. The ones in the front of the group photo with one narrow stripe on each side has 15 different woods on each one. another way of using up them scraps.
Where does multi – tasking come in? Well while waiting for the glue to dry on the various pots I made myself a pair of winding sticks, having lost mine in one of the many moves that my wife and I have taken. But they were quickly made so whilst waiting for some of the other pots to dry I set out to make a mini lathe, largely because of the difficulty of sanding down the round pots on a sanding disc. I took the idea from Jack Houweling on Youtube. The main difficulty in making that was getting that old drill clamped down, it only had one flat surface managed it in the end by using jubilee clips the same as Jack did. Thanks Jack it works a treat. The small handle was made out of one of the cores from the salt pots hence the different woods.
Thanks for looking.
-- Oldstarter (Dave Ashby)