|Project by Mark Wilson||posted 08-02-2015 01:43 AM||805 views||0 times favorited||12 comments|
I had, at first, two weeks in which to complete this task. The owner of a 1953 Chevy show pickup (winner of numerous trophies) asked me to refinish the Bed Boards, in anticipation of a fairly important show at the end of August, and two, lesser, shows, in the interim. Two weeks isn’t much time. He stretched it to three weeks. Good. I got it done in two. (Thirteen days, in point of fact.) The first three photos are B&A. The other three are progress photos, showing what a difference some Pumice, Rottenstone, and Eagle One makes. (I took sixty photos altogether. No one else will ever see most of them.) I used General Finishes 450 – five coats on the bottoms and edges; seven on top. I sealed the bare wood with BLO, but, most of that got sanded out. That’s okay, though, because the first coat of the 450 is a sealer. There were some awful looking Iron stains from water that had, evidently gotten through the original finish. I use Oxalic Acid (EEEEW), and wish I hadn’t, though it does look better than it did. don’t you think? The stripper I used was some of that new-fangled, non-toxic, environmentally-friendly stuff – a Godsend (no more Toluene for me, thank you very much). I do hope he’ll be happy with it. If he’s not, one week is certainly not enough time to do it again – the deadline is next Friday. I have to wait two days to find out – he’s in Vegas. And I so want these things out of my hair.
Lessons learned: 1) GF 450, an Acrylic, like automotive clearcoat, is wonderful stuff, best used slightly diluted, because it dries really fast. Diluting gives it a chance to self-level.
2) Pumice and Rottenstone were new to me, here. The difference is well-worth the extra steps, which don’t take long, in any event.
3) Distilled Water for diluting and for washing is a must. Tap Water contains Iron, and you don’t want that in your wood.
4) Next time something needs to be stripped bare and clean (i.e. Iron stains), I’ll run them through a planer. The bottoms, when I started, were covered with years worth of road grime, and they wound up looking better than the tops. Planing the tops would have left them much cleaner, and brand-new looking. He wasn’t looking for brand-new, actually. My bloody regrettable move with the Oxalic Acid came after he said he could live with what was left of the black stains once I had sanded them down. I, however, I guess, figured that, if they weren’t dealt with, they’d get bad again, even under the new finish.
5) I should charge a lot more for something that consumes my life for two weeks, and, leaves me biting my nails for two more days about whether it’s good enough.