|Project by robscastle||posted 08-01-2015 04:02 AM||1672 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
Its been a bit cold in Brisbane lately, ( down as low as 10 deg C) (due to global warming no doubt) so I have been hibernating most of the time.
So as a result not too much woodworking has been done at The Castle of late.
Now its gotten a little warmer I have started to become a little more productive.
For some time I have been fostering an abandoned shopping trolley in my garage, it was quite useful for moving “stuff” about.
However it also drew some comment about how I came to have it in my possession, the comments began to concern me so I decided to return it to the wild and make my own.
Hence the arrival of the Tool Trolley, now if it resembles a wooden version of a shopping trolley you will know where I got the original design concept from.
Not one for buying pine timber I decided to do a Pallet run and see what was about, Bingo ! first stop I had enough material to be able to set to work.
The Construction Process
1. Dismantle all the material and de-nail it.
The tools I used to do this were a rubber hammer, a pry bar and some wooden wedges and a lump of wood to separate everything. First up I separated the sides with a clout from the piece of wood, this produced two sections so it was then a matter of separating to individual pieces.
2. Once I had that all done the de nailing took place, this step consisted of ensuring the nails were straight and smacking them points down on the concrete a couple of times, this resulted in the heads backing out enough to remove them with the pry bar.
3. Once all the nails were out it was then a matter of examining them all for usefullness, I think there were two sticks with excessive twisting in them that were discarded, I then marked everything up for jointing.
I jointed them all and then “thicknessed them” using my table saw, this action resulting in the bulk of the material now being dressed 70mm x 35mm.
I had a few undersize and resawed them to 70mm x 30mm but did not use them.
I made the two trays first, without the bases, and then the frame work. Once I had everything made I then dry fitted them all together to ensure it would all fit and was the correct height. I used a ratchet strap to hold everything together.
With that passing sucessfully I made the bases for the trays and set them aside to dry
The next day I rounded over all the individual parts and made a screw jig to assist in the assembly.
I assembled everything and did some final sanding a finish rounding over touch up fitted castors and gave it a coat of sanding sealer to finish.
The front wheels I staked to prevent them going sideways.
When Aurora arrived home she commented favourably on its construction and whipped it away to use as a washing trolley !
-- Regards Robert