LumberJocks

My version of the Ultimate Folding SawHorse

  • Advertise with us
Project by tmiller posted 05-15-2009 11:14 AM 29269 views 76 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch

While building my last project I dropped a 4’x8’ sheet of plywood on my plastic saw horses; and that is the end of them. So I was/am in need of some new horses.

This is my attempt at the shop dog. I really did only one thing that I can see different. Instead of strapping down the removable piece with the tie down at the bottom I bored out some 2”x4” holes so that the removable piece can be slipped down the center of the closed saw horses. If you put the string over top, the 2”x4” it keeps it from danging.

Overall they seem pretty functional. The one I build was made from 2 complete 2”x4”x8’s plus an additional piece for the removable cross piece. That makes these a little heavy. I guess these could probably be completely made from 1-by stock as will. I think I made mine spread a little far.

Now I need to make at least one more.

The piece I used for the removable piece was a scrap so that is why it is cut a little weird.

-- tmwsigns.com





19 comments so far

View blockhead's profile

blockhead

1455 posts in 2054 days


#1 posted 05-15-2009 11:23 AM

Good job. I know that will serve you well for years to come.

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2418 posts in 2183 days


#2 posted 05-15-2009 01:00 PM

Cool design. The wood you used will ensure that you can get up and jump on them without fear but like you said. maybe some of the brace pieces can be a little lighter. Make them easier to tote around.

-- The smell of wood, coffee in the cup, the wife let's me do my thing, the lake is peaceful.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23057 posts in 2107 days


#3 posted 05-15-2009 01:41 PM

Must put these on my …TO-DO… list…nice job.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112828 posts in 2323 days


#4 posted 05-15-2009 03:55 PM

Well done

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

10262 posts in 2734 days


#5 posted 05-15-2009 03:58 PM

Very nice. I like the storage solution for the top board.

-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX

View ratchet's profile

ratchet

1304 posts in 2533 days


#6 posted 05-15-2009 04:15 PM

Well done! I really want to make a set of these. Thanks for the inspiration!

What do you think of using some 1/8” luan for the cross members so they have an even smaller side profile for storage?

View obi999's profile

obi999

183 posts in 2153 days


#7 posted 05-16-2009 09:20 AM

Great idea, i loved it from the first sight. Cant wait to built my own for the shop. And if i built, it could be also a little heavy, makes it a better stand and a longer lifetime.
Thank you for sharing your inspiration!!!

-- *** the german lumberjock ***

View Canexican's profile

Canexican

106 posts in 2423 days


#8 posted 05-18-2009 05:34 AM

Nice job, they look great…

-- www.woodshopdude.com

View TheLandYacht's profile

TheLandYacht

32 posts in 1983 days


#9 posted 07-16-2009 09:30 AM

Question: how do you tighten those two bolts enough that they won’t try to back out, but keep them loose enough that the horse’ll fold up easily?

View tmiller's profile

tmiller

103 posts in 2059 days


#10 posted 07-20-2009 07:05 AM

I used a nut with a plastic bushing in it. I think there is a name for them but it has escaped me.

-- tmwsigns.com

View Woodfix's profile

Woodfix

323 posts in 2045 days


#11 posted 07-20-2009 02:05 PM

Nyloc nut

-- Living is a constant gamble, life is about working the odds in your favour

View TheLandYacht's profile

TheLandYacht

32 posts in 1983 days


#12 posted 07-21-2009 06:34 PM

Made a pair of these yesterday.

The first one was a pain in the @ss. Measure & cut & assemble & measure & disassemble & cut some more & repeat.

Finally got the measuring done…one ONE board, took me over an hour. After that I disassembled it one more time, used the board I’d just cut up as a template & drew all the cuts on 7 more boards…made the cuts…and it all went together without a hitch.

View pawolf's profile

pawolf

6 posts in 1974 days


#13 posted 07-24-2009 11:19 PM

Hi. I’m new here—just found this site. I’m looking for a project for this weekend, and this will fit the bill nicely. One difference I see in the pictures of your interpretation and the original is one side of yours has both legs on the inside, and the other side has both legs on the outside. The original has one inside and one outside leg on each side. Not sure if I’m making sense or not—I’m referring to where the two sides bolt together and pivot. Are there benefits to doing it one way versus the other? Thanks.

-- Paul, Minnesota

View TrafficCopSmith's profile

TrafficCopSmith

5 posts in 1768 days


#14 posted 04-23-2010 02:32 PM

Awesome job Tmiller. I’ll have to give a shot at making this folding sawhorse this weekend.

View rance's profile

rance

4147 posts in 1906 days


#15 posted 04-28-2010 06:23 PM

Miller, nice change for storing the top.

Paul, I know its been 9 mo but the original design allows both sides to be built the same. This brings consistency, and consistency can be a good thing.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

showing 1 through 15 of 19 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase