|Project by Linkovich||posted 07-26-2015 05:30 PM||2271 views||1 time favorited||12 comments|
Saturday July 18th, I got married and gave my wife this bench, as a wedding gift.
I spent about 2 months working on it in secret. I would sneak out to my shop at 1am, and work on it for an hour or so. I kept hiding all the parts as they got finished.
I started out with a pile of old oak floorboards I got from my dad. I cut off the tongue and groove and planed down the grooves on the bottom, and planed the finish of the top side. This took a very long time. After I got all the boards the same thickness. I cut the rough lengths I needed, and started playing with glue. I cleaned up the mortise and tenons. Next came the nerve racking part. I cut all the dados in the slats as well as the dados on the supports that hold the slats. With a single blade and my miter gage. I cut the corners, added dowels to make it stronger and look better, rounded the edges on the router and glued all the pieces together. I also sanded a bunch through out the build. I gave it one last sand, and then covered it in boiled linseed oil.
I finished about a week before the wedding. So I had to hide it under actarp unit the big day.
There is a tone pore pics on my Facebook page.