|Project by ChuckV||posted 07-18-2015 01:07 AM||830 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
My cousin asked me to make some coasters that she will give as a gift. I had made a bunch one year as Christmas presents (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/54543).
After using a set of these for a few years, I knew that there was a problem with the suction when the coaster is wet and you lift the glass. So, these are both a simpler design and hopefully won’t have that problem. I just conducted a “suction test”. The results are great.
My idea was to have shallow grooves in the faces of the coasters. I cut shallow 1/8” wide grooves using one of the outside blades from my dado set. Then I glued strips of veneer into the bottoms of the grooves.
The wood is black walnut and maple. The finish is Danish Oil, de-waxed shellac, and satin finish water-based polyurethane. This is also how I finished the ones I made before, and they seem to be holding up well.
-- “And the products of wealth push you along on the bow wave of their spiritless undying selves.” ― I. Anderson