|Project by Matt||posted 07-17-2015 10:20 PM||814 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
The carcass for this project was made of walnut, unfinished, and was being sold at an estate sale for a local cabinet maker on Whidbey Island. Roughly 1.5 years later, I’ve finally made drawers for it and finished it. The top drawers are maple on the sides and poplar for the back while the bottom two are poplar from a local tree (same one as the coffee table) for both the sides and the backs. The fronts are sapele and the drawer bottoms are baltic birch ply to mitigate expansion problems.
For the top, the base wood is walnut, but I wanted to bring in the sapele and maple from the drawer fronts and handles. Initially, the ideal was to inlay a geometric design (some sort of spiraling maple shape), then it was going to be fall leaves scattered over the top (just like the fall table). The wife believed all of these ideas to be “too busy” and, heeding her advice, I elected to go with two inlayed branches out of sapele and the mitered maple border (1/4”). Having done the fall leaf table prior, this one was much easier as I’ve now learned to angle the scroll saw 1 degree to give the inlay sides an angle for a tighter fit when clamped in. The top is attached to the carcass with oak cleats a’la the WoodWhisperer’s chest of drawers build, to allow for seasonal expansion of the solid walnut top. The Outside is finished in Arm R Seal. The inside is finished in shellac to avoid off gassing issues. The project had alot to teach me about dovetails and fitting drawers one piece at a time. Thanks for the look.