|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 07-15-2015 10:47 PM||1014 views||1 time favorited||16 comments|
For those of you who followed my series on designing a chair from a while ago, I finally started production of the chairs that go with that conference room table for my church. This is the first ‘production’ piece of the build. Now I just need to do 7 more.
I’ve made a step by step ‘tutorial’ for this chair here: [link]
Because I can get 1-1/2 chairs from a 1×12x8’ board, it’s best to build them in pairs. ( The second of this pair is 90% complete. I’ll finish it along with the other 6.)
I began by sawing the board in half at 4 feet to make it easier to put through the saw. then I cut it into 3 in. strips. From these I cut the back legs, front legs, sides, front and back. There are also a few cut offs from the rip cuts that give me supports for the seat.
With the legs cut to length, I used my 2-in-1 taper jig to, well, taper the legs. The front legs get a notch cut in them to help support the front of the chair, plus aesthetically, it looks better. (Picture 6 above shows all the parts of the frame laid out.)
The curved back is formed by 3 lengths of plywood via bent lamination. I have to custom fit it to the chair, but it’s not difficult. Because of it being plywood though, I did end up painting the backrest brown because of the sanding involved. It matches well though.
The seat is a flat piece of 1/2 inch plywood. Because I did not curve the seat, I’m including a puffy cushion with each chair.
I haven’t done a Wandel leap onto the chair, but I’m confident it’s sturdy enough. The legs are glued and screwed from the inside and there is no movement in the joints.
I finished the chair with dark cherry stain followed by several coats of spray lacquer.
[EDIT] Here’s a shot of all 8 chairs around the table I built them for. I built the table last year.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!