|Project by RustyHacksaw||posted 07-15-2015 05:17 PM||10185 views||6 times favorited||11 comments|
Wow what a rewarding project. I had a week off work to work on it as often as I could physically handle. It ended up taking 2 weeks.
Details:Spent $56 on the 2×6s from the store. $8 on the Danish oil. $150 on Jorgensen 41012. I splurged on the vise but I love it.
Top is 5” thick. I thought this would be a great idea, I wish I would have made it less, it has made everything a challenge, fitting the vise required a huge 3” deep 12”x8” mortise I had to chop… also the hold fasts don’t grab well, even with sandpaper trick. Once I forget about the huge amount of work it was to fix those issues I will probably enjoy the thicker top.
Height is 36”. Bench is 24” deep and 5’ long.
The mortise and tenons were hand chopped (first time). The wedges in the housing dado of the apron change every thing. Without them I don’t know how rigid it would be. Aprons are 12” wide. The bolts holding them on make the bench able to breakdown if I need to move it.
Finish is dark danish oil.
Like I said this was an incredibly rewarding experience. I learned a lot and gained confidence in lots of different aspects of woodwork. The only power tools used were the power planer to flatten the bottom of the tops. I did the top and all of the stock prep by hand with my #5 craftsman.
I was learning how to crosscut a slab and got to teach my son how to make a rip cut And mark boards.
fun times. But I’m too tired to start a project on it now