|Project by Coloneldon||posted 05-01-2009 06:06 PM||2479 views||8 times favorited||31 comments|
I suspect not many of you have made one of these. Neither had I until now. My neighbor is a Firefighter and he came over last week and asked if I would help him make this (He watched and I worked—but that is OK—it was fun). Anyway, his station has an annual agility contest and he wanted to have a permanent trophy in the firehouse to put the winners name’s on. So I designed this trophy. The hard part was—how to get the cross pieces to look right/fit. After a few days of thinking I came up with the solution. I glued up some walnut 24” X 6” X 6”. Then while it was square I marked out where the cross pieces were to be located. Took my drill press and cut holes using my large hole saw (cut to max depth). Then with my router using a spiral cutting bit I removed the insides. I then drilled the hole deeper—kept at this until I had the holes were deep enough so that they would still be there after the turning. Then put this on the lathe, cut the pommel, shaped the rest of the column and final sanded. I then turned the arms to fit the holes, even with the holes in the column I was not satisfied that glue alone would hold them in place over time—afraid someone would pick it up by the sides and they would come loose. So I drilled out the center for a recessed 1/4 lag screw in each. Then I made the nuts to cover the holes (free hand and with jigs on my drum sander) once satisfied on the shape I put them on the lathe and turned pegs on one end to fit the hole I drilled for the lag screws. Did the same thing for the top nut. Finally I made the nuts to go around the top ledge (these are the only parts that I worry about staying on—they are just surfaced glued to the top (end grain to long grain) hope they hold. Finished this with my favorite hand rub poly (General Finish Top Coat).
Hope you like it. I know the Fire Dept will. Col D