|Project by George_SA||posted 07-12-2015 06:42 PM||4282 views||9 times favorited||7 comments|
This is a quick and easy project. I made mine in the form of a trophy which could be used as a prize for a competition or as a gift for a golfer buddy.
It is easy to make, just follow the instructions below.
There is also a SketchUp plan which can be downloaded over here
1) Start off with a suitable block of wood (I used a 50 mm square) and start drilling holes ( I drilled them from four sides, because my drill press has a bit of run out.) I used a 32mm forstner bit which is perfect for the golf ball size in South Africa (43 mm diameter). Use the drill template in the SketchUp plan
2) Finish drilling the holes
3) Use a quick drum sander to straighten out the posts
4) Sand nice and smooth and choose a foot piece. (I used a piece of fire wood flattened on the bottom to give a “live edge” effect) Drill holes in the foot piece and block so that they can be joined with a dowel (I used a 6mm dowel), but don’t glue the foot piece to the block just yet. This is only done after you have put the golf ball in the cage.
5) Put the golf ball into the cage. I put two golf balls in just for interest sake.
6) Using the dowel, glue the block and foot piece together and there you have it.
-- There are some things that money can't buy - Manners, morals and integrity