LumberJocks

Benchtop Moxon Vise Follow Up

  • Advertise with us
Project by rwe2156 posted 07-11-2015 07:25 PM 1949 views 5 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Benchtop Moxon Vise Follow Up
Benchtop Moxon Vise Follow Up No picture No picture No picture No picture No picture
Zoom Pictures

Finished the top, applied 4 coats of BLO and drilled dog holes.

Then is was on to the handwheels and installing the front chop.
The next decision was how to attach or lock the wheels on to the acme rod.

I took them to a machinist friend of mine to have the collars drilled and tapped for set screws, but he suggested using a roll pin instead. After thinking about this a bit, he suggested just to go with nuts on each side of hand wheel.

Which is what I ended up doing. Actually it worked out nice because the nut on the inside pushed the handwheel out just a bit more, making it more convenient to turn.

So it works well, with one exception: I did not put bushings in the outside chop, thinking the 1” hole I bored for the 3/4” thread would give it some slop when clamping a tapered leg

BUT…..there’s a problem.

1) I can’t use the dog hole feature now because the chop has too much slop and just angles out of the way.
Rather than mess around with spacers, I’ve decided to come up with a way to eliminate the “chop slop”.

2) I can’t clamp a piece of wood long ways near the top of the chop without some sort of spacer to keep it from racking.

Solution 1: Put a bushing in the front chop.

Solution 2: Some sort of slide or guide rod mounted on the bottom of the chop directly under the screw. This way, I could remove it quickly if the need for tapered clamping ever came up. Drill a hole in the stretcher for the guide rod to move and mount a beefy guide block on the bottom edge of the chop.

I’ll keep you posted on this.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!





5 comments so far

View kiefer's profile

kiefer

4881 posts in 2126 days


#1 posted 07-12-2015 12:59 AM

View David Taylor's profile

David Taylor

326 posts in 546 days


#2 posted 07-12-2015 11:54 PM

I put black iron pipe nipples with a 3/4” ID in the chop, with epoxy all around them, then cut them flush with a dremel. Works nicely now.

-- Learn Relentlessly

View rwe2156's profile

rwe2156

2187 posts in 940 days


#3 posted 07-13-2015 01:00 PM

Thanks. I want to keep them below the screws otherwise it defeats the purpose of the Moxon.

The chop is a 5” to there is a little over 2” below the screw.

I’m think it might be best to attach the slider to the bottom of the chop and let it just run along the bottom of the horizontal top. This way, it could be detached if the need arose for clamping a tapered leg or such.

Could even be something like a

I’ll eventually get around to making a sacrificial chop to experiment with.

I’ll keep you posted right now to many other things going on…..

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile (online now)

Smitty_Cabinetshop

13711 posts in 2078 days


#4 posted 07-13-2015 02:34 PM

Robert, nice work on the build. A couple of questions – is it heavy to move, and where does it go when you’re not using it?

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View rwe2156's profile

rwe2156

2187 posts in 940 days


#5 posted 07-13-2015 08:44 PM

Not bad, maybe 40 pounds.

Actually its stayed right where I put it the first time I tried it out and to be honest haven’t thought about storing it. My bench is pretty big so I have the room.3

The picture is a little deceptive it looks much larger than reality compared to my bench (34X90)

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com