|Project by rwe2156||posted 07-11-2015 04:14 PM||2222 views||13 times favorited||4 comments|
The Moxon seems all the rage these days and after taking a look at one, I thought if I could get one elevated higher it would suit me and my problem-prone back better.
I came across Jeff Miller’s version of a benchtop bench. and decided why not combine the two?
So here goes:
Step 1 was building the base. I basically followed Miller’s design with a couple minor modifications. One was I used screws in the top tenons because I thought it would be good to be able to modify the height once I started using it (now that I’ve done that and started using it, I doubt I ever will). I also use screws instead of captured bolts to joint the stretchers. I just didn’t think it was necessary.
Sorry I don’t have detailed photos of the assembly process, but is simply mortise and tenon joinery.
The top was made from a piece of tulipwood I had it is a solid piece app 2” thick and 14 deep X 24 long.
After lots of work handplaning it flat, I thicknessed it and did the same with another piece for the inner face.
Now comes the “thinking” part. I decided to forgo the usual moxon design in that I wanted the screws to move instead of the handles travelling on stationary screws. I just didn’t like the screw thread sticking out. Oh well, to each his own.
So what I did was place a captured nut on the inner side of the inner face.
And covered to secure in place:
A guide block with a bushing was carefully placed at the same height as the nut to allow for a nice, free spinning of the handle.
Here is the bushing I used:
Here is the final set up looking from the bottom:
-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!